How to Encrypt your Sheridan Laptop using Bitlocker
[updated September 21, 2020] Follow the instructions below to encrypt your Sheridan owned or leased Windows laptops using Microsoft BitLocker Administration (MBAM). This will protect data on employee laptops in the event the device is lost or stolen and will have no noticeable impact to your day-to-day activities or your laptop’s performance.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE NOTE:
These instructions are applicable to employees who are on-campus and using a Sheridan owned or leased laptop that is running and a Sheridan disk image.
- Make sure your laptop is connected to AC power. It is recommended that you leave your laptop plugged in during the encryption process.
- Connect your laptop to the Sheridan network using an Ethernet cable. Once you are plugged in, wait at least 10 seconds, then start or reboot your laptop and log in. After logging in, you may disconnect the Ethernet cable and resume work wirelessly.
- Within a few hours, you will see the following screen. Note that starting the encryption process can be postponed for 24 hours. The encryption of C: begins when you click Start.
- You will still be able to use your laptop while encryption runs in the background, however, drive space will be limited. It is recommended that you DO NOT install software, perform software updates, or download very large files until encryption is complete.
- If you close the encryption progress window or reboot your laptop during the encryption process, you will no longer see the progress window. However, encryption is still running in the background. If the computer is turned off or goes into hibernation, encryption will resume where it stopped the next time Windows starts.
- When encryption has been completed, you will see the message, "Successfully Encrypted C:", as shown below.