Employee Email/Calendar Migration to Exchange Online Coming this Fall
Beginning later this fall, IT will be migrating employee email and calendar services from our current, on-premises Microsoft (MS) Exchange environment to the cloud-based, MS Exchange online.
This change will offer users:
- Increased mail quota (50GB - up from 10GB)
- Better integration with our existing Office 365 offerings
- share files using OneDrive or SharePoint online rather than sending attachments
- Shared mailboxes for Groups/Teams
- Online management options for Office 365 Groups
- Greater user control and self-service options (e.g. recover deleted email messages without the intervention of IT)
We are currently doing some initial testing and are in the process of porting over the necessary resources (e.g. meeting rooms, etc.) that will be required to enable the migration of employee email and calendar resources to the cloud. Once this has been completed, we will start migrating user mailboxes, beginning with the IT department. This will likely begin later in September following start-of-term activities.
Following the successful move of the IT staff email boxes, migration will commence for staff/faculty users in other areas of the college, starting sometime in October. The transition process is fairly involved and will probably take a number of weeks to complete, with the bulk of the work taking place on weekends* to minimize disruptions. We have tentatively planned to migrate users in batches, one administrative/faculty area at a time. Notification will be sent to users prior to the migration of their mailbox.
* users will notice the change the Monday following the migration of their mailbox
Outlook Online - Easy, Consistent, Hassle-Free
IT recommends the use of Outlook Online as the primary method of accessing your email. It is tightly integrated with the rest of the Office 365 suite and is easy to access with no set-up or configuration required. Simply login to office.sheridancollege.ca with your Sheridan credentials and select the Outlook link.
Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this change, contact the IT Service Desk using the contact info noted below.