New Office 365 Services Now Available!
Office 365 Groups, SharePoint Online & MS Planner
[Updated Mar. 24, 2020] We are excited to announce that three new Office 365 services for staff and faculty are now available.
Office 365 Groups
Office 365 Groups allows you to create and manage a collection of people with access to the Office 365 tools you use already so you can collaborate with your teammates when writing documents, creating spreadsheets, working on project plans, scheduling meetings, or sending email.
- Create multiple Office 365 Groups to align with your different working groups or teams at Sheridan.
- Get shared access to a dedicated SharePoint Online Team Site, OneNote Notebook and a Microsoft Planner Plan.
- Request a group, assign members and start collaborating. It’s that easy!
- Request a private Office 365 Group and invite only the people you want to access to your group's digital workspace.
- Request a public Office 365 Group if you want to allow students, staff and faculty to easily discover, join and contribute to your group's digital workspace.
Requesting a Group
Contact the IT Service Desk at email@example.com or call 905-845-9430 ext. 2150.
SharePoint Online is the latest version of SharePoint being offered in the Office 365 suite and offers many improvements over Sheridan’s existing SharePoint 2010 offering. With the new modern SharePoint Online Team site you get self-serve design and administration interfaces that make it easy for the most novice SharePoint user to design and manage their Team Site.
- 1 Terabyte (TB) of file storage
- Sync, view and edit your Team Site documents from any of your work or home devices
- Advanced file management features:
- automatic file versioning – restore a changed file to a previous version
- a recycle bin that allows you to recover deleted files up to 3 months from the time of deletion
- real-time collaboration options that allow you and your team to work on the same file or document at the same time with automatic versioning capturing all changes made to that file.
- New self-serve design interfaces allow novices to easily add webparts to your site to display files, document libraries, images, online videos (e.g. Youtube) or other Office 365 services (e.g. a plan from your Microsoft Planner)
See the Sharepoint online page for more information.
Microsoft Planner is here to take you, your work group or your teams task management workflows to the next level. Planner provides a hub for team members to create plans, organize and assign tasks to different users and to check updates on progress through dashboards. It also provides a centralized place where files can be shared and gives visibility to the whole team.
Planner is designed in a Kanban board style that visually depicts a plan with the use of cards and columns to organize the tasks required for your plan. You and your team can easily create and assign tasks to members within your Office 365 Group, get notifications on new or late tasks and view reports on the status of how your plan is doing.
- Planner is designed in a Kanban board style that visually depicts a plan with the use of cards and columns to organize the tasks required for your plan.
- Each plan has its own board, where you can organize tasks into buckets.
- You can easily categorize tasks based on their status or on whom they’re assigned to. To update the status or change assignments, just drag and drop tasks between columns.
- Get notifications on new or late tasks and view reports on the status of how your plan is doing.
- Built for Office 365, Planner lets you attach files to tasks, work together on those files, and even have conversations around tasks without switching between apps. With Planner, all your team’s discussions and deliverables stay with the plan and don’t get locked away across disparate applications.
- Planner works across all your devices. And with Planner, everyone is always on the same page. A glance at Charts is all it takes to know where things stand and if the team is making enough progress towards their goal.
See the Office 365 Resources section on the MS Office page for more info about Office 365 Planner.
If you have any questions regarding these new services, please contact the IT Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.