Desktop Phone Registration Issues: Cisco Model 8945
[Oct. 14, 2014] Please note that upon restoring our telephony services at the Trafalgar data centre following the transfer switch work this weekend we have discovered that approximately 300 desk phones have not successfully registered with the call manager service. The majority of these desk phones are located at the Davis campus, although all campus locations may be affected.
Upon investigation we have determined that the phones are attempting to upgrade their firmware and the upgrade process fails in some cases. The model affected is the Cisco 8945 desk phone (see picture).
- Phone screen is blank and phone is unresponsive (none of the buttons work and there is no dial tone when the receiver is picked up)
- Phone screen may indicate it is "upgrading" or "registering" but never completes the process (process should take under 5 minutes).
- Clients should save all of their work (the client computer is typically connected to the phone).
- The phone needs to be unplugged from the wall jack and will power down (wait 30 seconds).
- The phone should be plugged back in to the wall jack. The phone may initiate a firmware upgrade cycle that will take less than 5 minutes to complete. The phone will then register properly.
If you have any questions or concerns, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.